The session titled Trauma and Childhood Obesity will begin with an overview of childhood obesity statistics and the ACE study, followed by a discussion on how trauma is related to the increased prevalence and relationship to obesity in childhood. This section will also discuss social, economic, and biological factors contributing to childhood obesity. The last section will illustrate the steps necessary to prepare a client and the client’s family for treatment as well as options for advocacy and community support. The session will conclude with an overview of potential next steps and additional assessment and screening measures.
- Participants will be able to identify factors to improve treatment outcomes for child and adolescent clients with co-morbid obesity and trauma.
- Participants will be able to identify several factors associated with childhood obesity.
- Participants will learn how to address childhood obesity through a traumatic stress lens.
- Participants will learn about different assessment measures to increase efficacy of treatment.
- Participants will be able to identify biological factors associated with stress and obesity.
- Participants will be able to identify community actions to support a reduction in childhood obesity rates.
Arizona Trauma Institute has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6677. Arizona Trauma Institute is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
CE Hours Awarded: 6